Replays and .... replays

Total War General Discussions.
Gustavus2
Lt Commander
Lt Commander

Post by Gustavus2 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:21

ladyAn wrote: - Not sure about chariots just knock down infantry, I have been killed not only once
but many times
Yeah, when I check the logs, they showed that Heavy Chariots got quite good of
killing number in most games. They don't shoot so must be hitting, running through
and chopping by the sickles of wheels to kill.
I don't like them so didn't try them yet although my last name means "Voice of War
Chariots" in Chinese.

ladyAn wrote: BTW, I got the RTW running on win64 and there is no noticeable difference :) So that's
good :) Still need to tune it though. Just got it patched.
Make sure to get all of the 64bit version of drivers for your hardware, do some
tests to ensure that most of the programs that you using are compatible with WinXP64.
For the MHz of current CPUs have, you won't notice any of slow down by running 32bit
programs under 64bit OS.
Then you may need to wait a bit for native 64bit programs showing up on market to get
the most out from the 64bit OS.

Last big project that I held was code name Chicago, Windows 95, back to 1993-94 when
I worked for Microsoft.
It was first edition of "True" 32bit Windows for generic(consumer) desktop systems.
It took us a while for drivers and true 32bit programs for it.
Now, 64bit age is coming. Needed or not, soon or later we will need to go into it.

Congratulations!
You are most advance of faction within Planet Tomato, No, TW Group of FFers. LOL

ladyAn
Queen of Deception

Post by ladyAn » Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:15

I can't have Window Media Player 10, microsoft refused to install it :) So I installed WinAmp. Now you mentioned it: I don't remember patching the 9600 Driver. I must doublecheck now to see if that is the case.

I think the big difference relative to my old system: it is not the CPU speed, but actually I could now plug another bank of 512Meg in there :)

Annie
- Possess weapons of mass distraction

Gustavus2
Lt Commander
Lt Commander

Post by Gustavus2 » Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:27

ladyAn wrote:I can't have Window Media Player 10, microsoft refused to install it :) So I installed WinAmp. Now you mentioned it: I don't remember patching the 9600 Driver. I must doublecheck now to see if that is the case.

In case you didn't install Catalyst for XP64 Driver, here are some links.

https://support.ati.com/ics/support/def ... deptID=894

Then click the [+] to expand the "Drivers and Software" at left pane of this page.
Then click the [+] to expand the "Windows XP Professional x64 Edition",
then click "RADEON".
Then click the "CATALYST 5.4 Windows XP Professional x64 Edition - Driver Download"
in right pane to go to the download page.
(The link to the download page directly somehow would get session expire message.
So I gotta give you the link from starting step, then step by step to go to the
damn download page.)

Or, directly download link for Catalyst 5.4 WinXP Pro x64 Edition
ATI Catalyst 5.4 for Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
http://www2.ati.com/drivers/wxp64-8-12- ... 22144c.exe
(About 21MB)

I recommend Catalyst 5.4(2005/04), a lot of better than 5.3, better than 5.2/5.1/4.12.

ladyAn
Queen of Deception

Post by ladyAn » Wed Apr 13, 2005 19:15

I did install Cataclyst 5.4 for WinXP Profession. Works good :) Have not played anything except NavalFields to know for sure, but NavalFields is just a low-demand kinda game.

Annie

Gustavus2
Lt Commander
Lt Commander

Post by Gustavus2 » Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:00

Since you just installed and tested WinXP 64 under your new system. I think
something you may want to take notes.

Although AMD released the first 64bit CPUs for generic desktop systems since
2003/09, Intel is releasing their own by now and later, 64bit computing age
would need more time to go than 32bit computing before.

In short, 64bit computing should be faster than 32bit because it can process
double times of data than 32bit within one clock cycle(needless to day, also
need both of 64bit OS/ 64bit Programs to support this).
More important is that, it can access(address) memory space as large as up to
16 Terabytes(!!!) of memory(4 GB for 32bit). But, as MS claimed, WinXP 64 RTM
would access "only" up to 128GB(still !!!) of memory plus 16 Tera of virtual memory.
Most of generic desktop systems got 1G or 2G of memory would be very enough
for most tasks runnung under them. Only server systems and some high-end workstations
would install more than 4GB of memory but those are beyond the so called generic
desktop systems.

Drivers part.
WinXP64 won't be compatible with 32bit device drivers at all.
That means, either you need to get 64bit drivers from within WinXP64 build-in
or from hardware vendors. This may not be a problem for drivers such as Video
cards and sound cards/NICs. But most likely would need to wait a long while for
devices such as Mices/Keyboards(if they need), Scanners, DSCs, MODEMs......

Programs part.
WinXP64 won't be compatible with 16bit programs at all. It is only compatible with
32bit programs.
So the problems are, older 16bit programs esp some small nice games/utilities couldn't
run under WinXP64.
And, more often, if the program came with 16bit installer(there are still many
of them out there that included some from Microsoft) then they can't be installed
onto WinXP64.

You may notice in your WinXP64. There are two version of IE6 in it. One for 32bit
and another one is native 64bit. Why? Because 64bit IE6 won't be compatible with
32bit plug-ins such as Macromedia Flash/Shockwave players or Apple QuickTime Player
and so on. So Microsoft leave 32bit verison of IE6 just for compatible reasons.

As I know, WinXP64 seems to be quite compatible with most of 32bit programs so far.
But that can't be count if just one single important of program couldn't be installed
on it or run under it for you.
To me, the problem is, WinXP64 can't be installed to upgrade WinXP Pro(32bit) but
pure clean install only. That means I will have to reinstall all of my programs
onto it AGAIN. Needless to say also need to backup all of the data first. But that's
not a problem for me since I backup data per week and whole system per month.

Maybe it's a better idea for just install and try WinXP64 but also get an edition of
WinXP Pro(32bit) then switch between them.
WinXP Pro upgrade edition got so called "Education edition"(product is all as same as
normal version just different software license.) in Taiwan and just cost about USD 44
for it. Not sure how Microsoft selling it at overseas though.

Back to my old Chicago(Windows95) days.
It cost all of our efforts on it to push it. And yes, we can meet Bill Gates
in Taiwan since he came to here once per year for a long time. We need to sleep
in company almost one or two weeks before he came for preparing many reports.
Oh, although he is always showing his stupid smile on medias. Trust me, you don't
want to stand and report at front of him. He is really a very smart of people.
Speaking very fast and picked your mistakes very sharp, deeply and quickly. Also, didn't
care about any of the feeling you might have at all. In fact most of people are fooled
by his nice and stupid face for a very long time.
But don't get me wrong, worked within Microsoft was an very enjoyable and excited
experiences for us.
I was lucky since my part of works didn't need to deal with him directly but can
rely on my co-workers to do so. (I don't have good English speaking too)
Then, we released Windows95/Office95 at same day. That means, users would get
true 32bit programs for the 32bit OS at same time. And a lot of more were following
very soon because Microsoft was really put fate on it and, 100 millions of USD to
market it. I am not sure since I didn't touch WinXP before it released but I guess
maybe only WinXP can be compared with that kind of efforts for Win95 some years later.
Win95 set the new standard of graphical interface for many edition of Windows later
such as the "Start" button and Recycle bin(like Apple's own Trash Bin) and so on.
Also, so called "FAT32" file system came with Win95 OSR2(1996).

For WinXP64, I don't see the same efforts so far. I guess Microsoft not really
want to push 64bit computing for these 2 years but lazy following only.
Microsoft mentioned that Office for 64bit MAY release at 2006. But is still
questionable. And, 2006 is also a big year for code name Longhorn, next major version
of Windows, to be released in planning. Maybe Longhorn64 would be better choice
than WinXP 64.(I will wait for Longhorn and plus a year to upgrade all of my systems.)

Edit,

Why I talked about MS-Office for the part seems to be belonged of pure OSes things only?
Because Office is a real "Golden Chicken" for Microsoft. Even you won't use them at all,
but viewing what they are doing for Office would be a true sign about Microsoft's
strategies for their OSes.
People who handling Office and their market well would get better promoting chances
within Microsoft. The general manager(head) of Microsoft Taiwan was Office product
manager before. She, yes, it's a woman, didn't even know much about computer when
she came into Microsoft(She isn't a pretty girl but is very aggresive and smart).
Micorsoft decided to carry on the Office for Mac somehow gave great faith for the
future of Mac platforms.
Office is the core of Microsoft's strategies. From such views, WinXP64 would not get
much resources from Microsoft so do third parties vendors.

ladyAn
Queen of Deception

Post by ladyAn » Sat Apr 16, 2005 18:05

I chose WinXP64 for only 1 reason: I could download it for free during the trail period, for 1 year. Next year, I'll look at what is available and will have to buy a copy of WinXP. Right now the closed to trial period, and I regret I didn't make 10 email accounts and get 10 licenses :)

Annie