RTW MP guide

Total War General Discussions.
frogbeastegg
Cadet
Cadet

RTW MP guide

Post by frogbeastegg » Mon Mar 21, 2005 22:57

Like the masochistic frog I am I'm adding a chapter on MP to my RTW guide. :cries: I'm doing one final update of the guide and then dropping it for good, so I'm trying to get everything in there. Bearing in mind MP is the only part I still play, and that so many newbies really need a helping pointer or two, I thought I may as well pack in a chapter.

I'm writing the first version of the chapter now, and I'll post it for viewing when it's done so you can all pick it over and tell me how wrong I am :D Maybe later tonight, maybe tomorrow.

But I'm just a frog; barely played MP at all and an utter newbie in team games. I'd like to give out as much good, solid advice as I can to help new players get playing with more than 1 unit of elephants. So if people can contribute suggestions I'd be very grateful. 70,000 people have read the exisiting RTW guide, so it's fair to say there is an audience out there wanting help. There's a space in the credits just waiting to say "Clan [FF] for plenty of help with the MP chapter."

:takes deep breath: One more big update, just one more and I can put an end to the updates and at least part of the mail flood.I'm nearly half way there already. :soaks her aching typing fingers in a bowl of cold water:
A knight is sworn to valour
Her heart knows only virtue
Her blade defends the helpless
Her might upholds the weak
Her word speaks only truth
Her wrath undoes the wicked

ladyAn
Queen of Deception

Post by ladyAn » Mon Mar 21, 2005 23:22

Aren't we all masochistic around here? :)

An MP guide is definitely needed, because a lot of time, it is the newbies who made things worst: setting up graphics too high, running a bunch of programs in the back ground, play with too much denarii, quit games while it was loading up, etc.

And then there are pseudo newbies: those who continue to ban fire arrows thinking it still lag their game, etc.

So, I would love to see your work, Froggy. Tell me if you need a hand or two.

Annie
- Possess weapons of mass distraction

frogbeastegg
Cadet
Cadet

Post by frogbeastegg » Mon Mar 21, 2005 23:58

[center]16. Killing other people: a brief guide to multiplayer[/center]

To play MP you need to be using the latest patch; make sure you download and install it before trying to go online. The details of creating a nickname, getting online and so on are in the manual. I wonÂ’t recap. However the two patches have made some changes to the lobby, so I shall do a quick rundown.

This is the lobby:
The big box in the centre of the screen lists all the games. Games in progress, which you cannot join, are shown in red. If you tick the ‘filter game list’ tickbox above this main display the red games will be removed and only games you can join will be displayed. The assorted bits of information displayed about each game are clearly labelled in the game itself, but remember you can hover your cursor over a game name to get more information about that game, including who the host is, and denarii levels.

The big, empty box on the lower left shows all the lobby chat. The tiny little oblong box below is where you type your own chat messages. The central column lists all the players in this particular part of the lobby. Player names can be several colours. Blue means they have joined a game but are not yet on the battlefield. Red means they are in a game and currently fighting. Yellow means the person is sat there doing nothing much. The box on the right hand side lists the assorted rooms of the lobby; move between them by clicking on the name of the place you want to go.

The three computer monitor type icons are, from left to right, refresh the game list, join selected game, and host a game. Read the manual for more.

Between the chat box and the player list you can see 4 square icons stacked on top of each other. From top to bottom they are:
Toggle to hear incoming chat. Select a player in the list and then his this button to only hear messages from that person. You can select multiple people this way.
Send messages only to the targeted person. Works in the same way as toggle chat, and again you can send messages to multiple people this way so long as you select them all first.
[deaf ear, no idea what it is]
Ban. This prevents the selected player from joining any games you host. Use this one with care; only ban people you really do not wish to play with. [does this last beyond the one game?]

Chat messages can come in several colours. Yellow means it is general chat; anyone can see it. A deep orange means it is a private message, only visible to you and others the sender has selected. Blue means the player sending the message is in a game, waiting to play.

Choosing your army
It is a good idea to get a balanced army, as in one which possesses infantry, missiles and cavalry in fair quantities. Armies which are unbalanced, such as mostly missile, can run into trouble. This is easy to say but sometimes hard to do; some factions have very specific unit sets, for example the Scythians have mostly cavalry units. Here a little common sense and thought will go a long way. You need to have some units capable of fighting close up and some capable of providing ranged support.

DonÂ’t plough all your money into a few powerful units; it is better to buy a larger army made up of slightly cheaper units. Elephants, cataphracts, urban cohorts and other powerful, expensive units will perform well, but you cannot take many of them. This often allows your enemy to wear you down through strength of numbers and missile fire. However do not take this maxim too far and buy a horde of town watch. Good, solid units with steady morale and stats are what you need.

At lower denarii levels you will need to go for cheaper units still. In a 10k game you can use early legionaries for your Roman front line, but in 7k you will be struggling to afford many of them. Instead use principes. Of course if you are in a game with plenty of money you can spend it on more of those high powered uber units. In a 20k game there is no reason not to have a front line of urban cohorts.

That's as far as I got tonight; it's barely even an intro. I'm exhausted, and my mind has gone completely blank. My way of choosing an army does not write up well in a guide: pick something *logical*! So tips for army selection would be nice. No doubt I will come up with some more tomorrow, but other people's tips are always useful too. I'm not the most experienced of players myself anyway.

Tell me more of these pseudo newbie mistakes, then I can include them and debunk them.

Some good, basic tips for team games would also be good. I've got ones like "don't camp away from your ally" filed away mentally to write tomorrow, but I have played barely any team games.

And one day, one bright and sunny day, not only will the guide be completed but I will also get around to getting myself an avatar on these forums! :p

Louis Ste Colombe
Turcosmurf

Post by Louis Ste Colombe » Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:13

I'll sure try to help as much as I can froggy.

You say you would not recap how to get online... But you may want to make a note about firewall, open port and all that, which, as far as I know are not in the manual.
On the other hand, I am not sure ANYONE got a real clue about it...

The ear with a red cross (deaf ear?) is ignore command. while you speak about lobby, you might want to advise people to move from busy lobby to empty lobby if they face connection issue; it might help (but not always).

Louis,

Gustavus2
Lt Commander
Lt Commander

Post by Gustavus2 » Tue Mar 22, 2005 14:19

I ever posted about Router/Firewall/Ports and MP of TW games here. I guess it's
time to post again. And then may have little of help for Frogbeastegg's MP Guide.

If you just want to join games on-line for MP of RTW. You just need to get the
lastest patch and make sure you have same version of RTW with hosts.(Including
MODs.) No need to take care of Firewall(ON, of course)/Router etc.

But, if you also want to host games on-line for MP of RTW. Then there are something
to do with your Router/Firewall/Ports.

As I know, there are 2 of simple way to do so for hosting MP games of RTW.

1, Enable DMZ(DeMilitarized Zone) option for your Router if it supported(Hardware).
And, keep software Firewall "ON" don't change(Software).
This way is quite simple to do since most of DMZ option is just one check and
one click to turn it ON/OFF within Routers.
Enabled DMZ may let some people feel nakedly at Internet but it's really not so bad
since most of ports are still not opened but visible only. And, you are still
protected by firewall. Last, you can turn DMZ off after you leave GS.
If your router supports DMZ then this way is safe, simple, easy and fast.
I use this way to host games for MTW/RTW.

2, Open ports that RTW needed to host games on-line within Router.
This way is a bit of more complex but, again, one time of work only.
You need to know which port RTW needed to host games on-line(please ask Annie, I
forgot). And then type the port number and open them within your router.
This way is for Routers that don't support DMZ option or people don't want to
enable DMZ. And this way will let the ports keep visible all the time even you
are not playing RTW on-line.

What I don't recommend is that you just disable Firewall to host MP of RTW.
This is a dangerous internet world. You don't know how many of freaking people
out there. So, either way you still need to keep software Firewall ON to get
protected. Most of software firewall on the market today will just ask the
"permit" for the first time when a program access Internet. Then won't bother
you again after you allowed the accessing right for the program UNTIL the program
get update or patch(means, it need permit by the Firewall again).

What I am not sure is, as Spectre said "Lower the Firewall setting" when
he hosted games on-line for RTW. So he may have some nice information to add
here. :wink:

Edit,

Add some notes.

So, as in this post, there is actually a 3, Disable Firewall(software) to host
MP of RTW on-line.
This way is also for people doesn't use Routers at all but accessing Internet
via DSL/Cable MODEMs only.

Although it's highly not recommended but totally up to you.
Sometimes it may be notthing happened at all while you disabled Firewall and
playing games on-line.
But just one day if you meet the high tide of new worms, then this will be very
trouble even stop you from accessing Internet and/or your computer.
Last edited by Gustavus2 on Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:39, edited 1 time in total.

frogbeastegg
Cadet
Cadet

Post by frogbeastegg » Tue Mar 22, 2005 23:55

Great; some nice additions already. Thanks all.

I ended up throwing all my work today into the battlefield part of the guide, also some unexpected big formatting changes and screenshot additions. The MP section is scheduled for tomorrow. I should have a pretty complete draft done, which I will post for your general picking over. From there the chaper will probably gain quite a bit and end up nicely comprehensive in a compact kind of way.

Who knows, at this rate I might even actually have time to play the game on Sunday! 8O

Spectre
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Spectre » Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:48

Hey Frog,

a word about MP balance / unit selection. Unfortunately, CA's SP decisions have bled into the MP side as well; currently, the most expensive elite units are also the most cost-effective in terms of raw combat points per spent denarii. In SP, the costs of climbing the tech tree are balancing the power of elite units, but in MP there is no such thing as a tech tree.

Therefore, it's usually advisable to stock up on the most expensive units that the player can afford, as long as there are a reasonable number of them (around 10+), and buy some cheap army filler, such as archers, in addition to those elite units. This works all the way down to about 10k, and below that it's still a viable, if inflexible, strategy.

Now I wouldn't mind at all seeing some pre-Marian (or even sub-Urban... arrgh... ambushed by a pun... must be... more careful...) armies, so maybe it is a very good idea to stretch the truth just a tiny bit. Actually, there's no stretching at all, come to think of it. Right?
:wink:

frogbeastegg
Cadet
Cadet

Post by frogbeastegg » Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:36

Thanks, Spectre.

Yup, I'm still alive. :lol: I've been busy, busy, busy, working in the guide as I can but also the unwilling victim of one of those spring colds. Nothing bad, but it's hard to work when you are tied up with the traditional froggy all purpose medicine of reading a huge pile of books. Also I've been heavily tied up with org mod stuff behind the scenes.

I've got nothing worth posting on the MP guide yet; most of the work has gone into other areas so far. I'll get there, and hopefully relatively soon.

ladyAn
Queen of Deception

Post by ladyAn » Wed Mar 30, 2005 16:02

Ooowww, hope you are getting well. I was on the verge of having a cold but luckily, not yet so far. I am sure hay fever season will come soon enough when the snow thaw in a couple of weeks.

Annie
- Possess weapons of mass distraction