I'm going to a M2TW special event.

Total War General Discussions.
frogbeastegg
Cadet
Cadet

I'm going to a M2TW special event.

Post by frogbeastegg » Wed Oct 25, 2006 15:11

Hello! It's been a while.

You may have seen the competition over at the org to win a place at a VIP preview of M2TW, taking place on November 3rd. I've been offered my own place thanks to my guides. Several developers will be there, and full and finalised editions of the game. Seems like attendance is very strictly limited in numbers, so I should have plenty of chance to talk and play.

What do you want me to ask? As you know, I started playing MP a little before RTW came out, and we all know what happened with RTW's MP! So I don't know the best things to be looking for and asking about with regards to MP. I'm a SP player at heart. A sceptical SP player - the released information and demo give me cause for hope, but not enough to make me buy it as anything but an impulse.

I'll do my best to get good answers to any questions you have.
A knight is sworn to valour
Her heart knows only virtue
Her blade defends the helpless
Her might upholds the weak
Her word speaks only truth
Her wrath undoes the wicked

ladyAn
Queen of Deception

Post by ladyAn » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:01

I couldn't be prouder :)
I don't know what to ask :) Have fun there, Froggy.

Annie
- Possess weapons of mass distraction

frogbeastegg
Cadet
Cadet

Post by frogbeastegg » Thu Oct 26, 2006 20:30

The date has been changed to Wednesday 8th. The good news is that I will get a free collector's edition of the game to take home to compensate for the change; I'll have my own copy of the game two days before release!

So I'll definitely be able to look into the viability of 4v4 via SP custom; I know that's something which disappointed with RTW. Work depending I shall be able to look at battle speed in a rough and improvised way. Possibly at things like the lethality of missile units, cavalry ... If anyone thinks of anything to add, ask.

I hope this game is a return to form. The recent news is mostly good :fingers crossed:

ladyAn
Queen of Deception

Post by ladyAn » Thu Oct 26, 2006 21:44

Ah, that's a good news. And yes, I do like what I see so far from the blogs, at least they made some effort (real or pretending) to win back MP players. RTW was certainly a disaster.

*knocks on wood* :)

Annie

ladyAn
Queen of Deception

Post by ladyAn » Mon Oct 30, 2006 21:24

Froggy got recognized for her very useful and widely appreciated "Guides". The recognition came from the marketing of CA's blog (the Shogun).

I use the guide too, so this is the opportunity to erpsonally thank Froggy for her work.

Annie

frogbeastegg
Cadet
Cadet

Post by frogbeastegg » Sat Nov 04, 2006 18:14

We'll have to play some MP, LadyAn. Dip our toes in the water and brave the hazards on the behalf of Louis :lol:

Let me know when you have the game. I'll be geting my free copy on this Wednesday.

Louis Ste Colombe
Turcosmurf

Post by Louis Ste Colombe » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:52

You certainly do not have to buy the game if you don't want to, even on my behalf :wink:
I'll be interested in your feedback, I am certainly not buying until December, and won't even then, unless you tell me it's good!
Who plans to buy? (beside froggy, obviously)

Louis,

frogbeastegg
Cadet
Cadet

Post by frogbeastegg » Mon Nov 06, 2006 13:39

The key to the frog's decision to play M2TW at the start lies in the words "free ultra posh collector's edition" :D It neatly solved my dilemna of whether to buy or not. Without the promise of a free copy I would still be trying to decide what to do; I want the game to be great and there is some promising news out there ... but I played RTW, and I can remember when that game sounded promising too.

I'll play MP if some other nice people are. I'm still not interested in playing solely with random people; I don't find it much fun.

Louis Ste Colombe
Turcosmurf

Post by Louis Ste Colombe » Mon Nov 06, 2006 15:40

Well, my current stance is: not buying. So I don't have a dilemna anymore.

My opinion may change if feedback is REALLY GOOD, as in GREAT. And that feedback needs to come from nice people too ;)

It's not so much the money, it's the time investement... I was happy to play MTW, but RTW was wasted time all along, I could have done something else of those hours... :?

Louis,

frogbeastegg
Cadet
Cadet

Post by frogbeastegg » Mon Nov 06, 2006 17:48

But RTW's MP wasn't all bad, Louis. They had a nice smurfy blue faction ;) Other than good gameplay, smooth performance in 4V4 battles, a proper lobby, and free chocolate, what more could a smurf possibly want? ;)

Yup. It's the time which is the important part, not the money. Imagine how I feel having spent over 200 hours on the RTW guide. Playing a game you find deeply flawed is bad; playing that same game for research purposes long after you'd normally give up is soul destroying. Already the requests for a M2TW guide are rolling in.

Having a copy of the game I feel I may as well try it; seems wasteful not to. Should be able to decide within 10 hours if I want to play more or not, and some of that playtime will be spent at this event on Wednesday. Being a primarily SP player I essentially have two possible games to play, and if one isn't great then the other might be. Besides, SP is sounding quite promising of late. :fingers crossed for this fancy new AI they keep talking about: But I'm still quite sceptical; I'm not expecting much. I remember the hype for RTW.

Tinkerbell

Post by Tinkerbell » Wed Nov 08, 2006 23:00

I plan to buy.
I happily ignored RTW mp but like Mlle FBOeuf, am severely interested by what I see so far of MTW2.
The first thing I have to do is get a decent hosting computer!

I have a seperate thread I'd like to launch pertaining more directly to the topic of hardware.

Almircar
Lt Commander
Lt Commander

Post by Almircar » Thu Nov 09, 2006 22:05

Hi all, too much time...

i'm gonna buy it, i think what i've seen is good (and demo shows very little thing...). I'll give it an opportunity. My deception with RTW it's now forgotten.

About computer, now i have a good hosting computer but in demo with medium lvl on graphic was not very quickly moving battle... if they don't improve performance im sure noone can play a good 4v4 battle... and CA told they are not going to give support to athlom computers at MP, and that means many problems on syncronization...

Lets see...

Un Saludo.
Almircar
Apprentice Wizzard
Commander of the Holy Roman Army
Grand Protector of Gryphii Domaine

Louis Ste Colombe
Turcosmurf

Post by Louis Ste Colombe » Thu Nov 09, 2006 22:15

Hello Tinkerbell and Almircar! Good to see you :)

I am not sure whether I'll buy it or not. I know I won't buy it until December for sure, and after that, well, I hope to have some good feedback :)

Talking about feedback, how was your day froggy? Was the game fun to play?

My PC is also getting a bit on the old side, so I might have issues playing anyway.

Louis,

frogbeastegg
Cadet
Cadet

Post by frogbeastegg » Fri Nov 10, 2006 0:08

Not had opportunity to write up a detailed report. Work. :sigh: Done a small one for the community blog, and am working on expanding it into something more detailed. I could be playing the game instead and I really do want to be - which says a fair bit. I would be if not for this accursed sense of duty to all the people on various sites asking me what I thought ;)

In short: game has promise. I want to play and see if it lives up to that promise, and I'm really hoping it does. It's slower, it's more considered, it's ... it's got promise. It feels much better.

I've just done a post on the org about the LAN battle we played. I lost; I was fighting up steep hills with an army not (according to my tastes) suited to the task against an enemy army with much the same units and numbers as I had. A toughie. The reasons why I lost are ones you will want to look at :) It's here

I asked about 4V4. It should be possible if:
-The host has a very good PC. This is one of the most important parts of making it work.
-All players have mid to high range PCs.
-Players set their games up properly. Eyecandy will need turning off in varying amounts for all but the uber PCs. Basically, tune the game and be sensible about what you have turned on. Also make sure your PC is tuned: new drivers, no background junk, etc.
-The largest unit size should not be used. They recommend normal, but large may be possible.

I have yet to try a 4v4 custom game. Huh, barely managed to play at all since I left Sega HQ :( I was playing instead of sleeping this morning, which means ... something.

Lobby is tweaked. It appears better, but still maybe not great. I only passed through it directly into the game. Ingame chat appears to function like RTW's. Again, I didn't use it, but some others did. Not vanilla RTW though, more like 1.2.

The password demand for logging on to MP is back as per MTW.

EDIT: Oh, and since hardware and upgrading has been mentioned, I'll tell you the specs of the PCs we played on.
P4 3.6
2GB DDR RAM
Geforce 7600GT

Hit the post size limit :oops:

frogbeastegg
Cadet
Cadet

Post by frogbeastegg » Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:10

More indepth comments here.

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:00

I am all aquiver.
I have to start doing some work now but will devote any and all spare minutes to regarding the findings of the Frog.
The big ask for me is the computer.
I reckon a budget of nearly

Tinkerbell

Post by Tinkerbell » Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:20

whoops, that last was me too....

frogbeastegg
Cadet
Cadet

Post by frogbeastegg » Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:02

Since it's in clear view on the net I may as well point it out for the curious. There's a picture of me here for anyone who wants to know what the frog looks like. It's not a good picture, but the small scale of it means I don't come out looking as I usually do on film: very frail, and pissed off. I'm not a photogenic froggy.

Tinkerbell

Post by Tinkerbell » Sat Nov 11, 2006 17:29

I think a name-check that includes the word "legendary" more than makes up for the deficiencies on the part of the person who took the picture.
How so an "epic journey", by the way?

frogbeastegg
Cadet
Cadet

Post by frogbeastegg » Sat Nov 11, 2006 21:03

Hehe, as for the legendary, they want me to write another guide.

Epic was a 15 minute bus journey to the station, followed by 2 hour train trip from my city to London, an hour stuck on a bendy bus going through London, 10 minutes on another train before changing and spending another 30 minutes on another, topped off by a five minute walk. There was some waiting about between changes, bringing it up to the stated 5 1/2 hours. I was an hour late for the event.

Then I had to do it again going back. In rush hour. Gah!