Book Club

That's right abuse it, use it do anything u want with it...
mIcK
Commodore
Commodore

Post by mIcK » Wed Feb 15, 2006 13:10

Me too Cern, nearly done the 3rd :)

FF-Cernunnos
'Monkey-Man'
'Monkey-Man'

Post by FF-Cernunnos » Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:09

I just pasted this link into eve and thought I'd revive this old post as its kind of releated.

The is an amazing little 5 part comic book called '300' by Frank Millar. Its been made into a movie thats due for release in 2007 and its got me really excited because I love anything to do with Sparta or the Spartans...check it out. Be aware this may lead you to spend some time gawping at the awesome visuals.

http://www.themoviebox.net/movies/2006/ ... railer.php

By the way Mick what did you think of the 3rd book?
-=The FF Boss=-

FUBAR4U2
Old Fart

Post by FUBAR4U2 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:09

Nice looking video
"These bunch of jug heads are acting like a bunch rectal apertures"

~Coach Hines~

FF-Cernunnos
'Monkey-Man'
'Monkey-Man'

Re: Book Club

Post by FF-Cernunnos » Wed Feb 06, 2008 21:25

Nat's been asking about books in another thread and I always thought this topic was wicked so I've made it a sticky.

Been a long time since I last posted what I've been reading so the list could be quite big.

John Le Carre - Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy - The Honourable Schoolboy - Smileys People
Amongst the best spy novels ever written. Tinker, Tailor and Smileys People are awesome reads, The Honourable Schoolboy takes some time to get into but its worth it.

Pratchett - Making Money
Yeah its been out ages but I like to get books off people for christmas so I waited to read it till then. Pratchett totally on form as usual. He's been diagnosed with Alzheimers recently so sadly this literary giant might only have 5 or 6 books left in him for all we know. Lets hope its more!

Bernard Cornwall - Sword Song
The 4th book in the Uthred series that I mentioned ages ago.

Robyn Young - Crusade
Only the 2nd book from this author. She's a bit naive at times but I find the book is an easy read.

Charley's War Volume 4 - Blues Story
Charleys War was one of my favourite childhood comic strips. Set in the trenches of WWI, for the most part, its recognised as being one of the greatest British comics ever.

Alan Moore - Watchmen
Another of the greatest comic books of all time...hopefully needs no introduction! Anyway its by Alan Moore so if you're into your comics you should have read it by now, if not...you moron...read it!

Raymond.E.Feist - Magician (Comic Adaptation)
One of the best fantasy novels ever adapted for those that like pretty pictures. Follows the story of Pug and Thomas during the first Riftwar.

George.R.R.Martin - The Hedge Knight Volume 2
Ser Duncan the Tall and his squire Egg ride again!

Currently waiting for George.R.R. Martin to pull his finger out and release A Dance with Dragons and Raymond.E.Feist's next book which is out really soon I think.
-=The FF Boss=-

mIcK
Commodore
Commodore

Post by mIcK » Wed Feb 06, 2008 23:09

Just started the Uhthred series by Cornwell myself and enjoying it so far :mrgreen:

Mark, have you read wolf of the plains - the latest from conn igulden ? The first one was ace :wink:

Natilus2
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Natilus2 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:01

you know...
i read the first page entirely before realizing this thread was old as hell lol

thanks for digging it up m8 =)
/me continues reading thread to figure out what he should read next XD

FF-Cernunnos
'Monkey-Man'
'Monkey-Man'

Post by FF-Cernunnos » Thu Feb 07, 2008 20:25

Good topics never die Nat.

I haven't read Wolf of the Plains yet but that and Lords of the Bow are sat next to my bed with the rest of the books I got for christmas. :D

Hornblowers cool. If you don't fancy reading the wiki page the books follows Hornblower through his career as a midshipman, lieutenant, captain, commodore and admiral. The story's set during the Napoleonic wars and its a proper old boys own tale.

If you liked Hornblower you should try some Alexander Kent, look for the Bolitho books, or Dudley Pope's Ramage books. Richard Woodman's Nathanial Drinkwater series is pretty good too.

I never got on with the Patrick O'brian books, they feel diss-jointed to me for some reason.
-=The FF Boss=-

FF-Hobbes
The Gawdfather
The Gawdfather

Post by FF-Hobbes » Wed Feb 27, 2008 13:04

Mark's got a true Lazarus touch. Good on you.

I hate to say it, but I've been reading just about every goddamned Warhammer 40K book I can find out here. Desperation and Dawn of War have driven me to it. That being said, anything by Dan Abnett or Sandy Mitchell are enjoyable.

The Chaos gives me some really messed up dreams though.

FF-Cernunnos
'Monkey-Man'
'Monkey-Man'

Post by FF-Cernunnos » Wed Feb 27, 2008 19:27

Read the Horus Heresy yet?

I'm on the latest one at them moment, Descent of Angels. Its about the Dark Angels, my favourite Marine chapter from way back in the day!

The previous books have been a bit wierd, some of them have been awesome, some of them have took a bit to get into. I find it strange that a set of books can be written by so many different authors simply because of continuity problems, however, they seem to have got over that problem quite well.

Looking at this post is wierd, I never realised I was so well read...lol.
-=The FF Boss=-

FF-Hobbes
The Gawdfather
The Gawdfather

Post by FF-Hobbes » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:06

I just finished Dark Apostle and Fulgrim. I haven't enjoyed the Horus Heresy. It seems a comedy of errors due to the situation where at so many junctions if things had gone just slightly different the Heresy wouldn't have happened or at least not been as catastrophic, yet everything that could go wrong really did, except for the Eisenstein. Hard pill to swallow.

I've also just read a book caleld Survival of the Sickest. Very interesting reading. It talks a lot about the interplay of diseases and genetics. Easy to read, easy to get into, I highly recommend it.

FF-Cernunnos
'Monkey-Man'
'Monkey-Man'

Post by FF-Cernunnos » Thu May 01, 2008 23:27

The new Horus Heresy book, Legion, is out. Another Dan Abnett. These things seem to be released every 3 or 4 months lately!

More of the same really, an odd read. Lots and lots of build up and then the end of the book comes upon you suddenly.

Out of interest has anyone ever read any 2000AD? I've started collecting artwork from it over the past month, my most recent aquisition is a couple of Halo Jones design sketches by Ian Gibson. If you havent read Halo Jones...well its one of the best British comic strips ever, written by Alan Moore of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, V for Vendetta and Watchmen fame.
-=The FF Boss=-

mIcK
Commodore
Commodore

Post by mIcK » Fri May 02, 2008 19:52

2000AD was a mainstay of mine as a nipper, rogue trooper was my fav

FF-Hobbes
The Gawdfather
The Gawdfather

Post by FF-Hobbes » Fri May 16, 2008 14:26

anyone get into the Jack Aubrey novels?

FF-Cernunnos
'Monkey-Man'
'Monkey-Man'

Post by FF-Cernunnos » Fri May 16, 2008 17:55

See my 3rd post on this page bud.

:wink:
-=The FF Boss=-

FF-Hobbes
The Gawdfather
The Gawdfather

Post by FF-Hobbes » Sat May 17, 2008 3:20

Bah, fine print.

They are though, and honestly quite obfuscating in their grammar and verbage. But I loved the movie so damn much I gave it a shot anyway. Of course the music helped a lot also. Ever see a bunch of sailors singing 'Don't Forget Your Old Shipmates" in a bar? We're lucky we didn't get tossed.

A great book, the Life of Pi. It fits into a category I can best describe as a 'mindfuck'. I don't want to tell me more for fear of spoilers, but after reading it (mostly on the throne tbh), I was forced to sit back and really re-evaluate shipwrecks, algae, the meaning of truth.

I was saddened to learn that it was a novel and not a true story. And it has a tiger in it.

FF-Cernunnos
'Monkey-Man'
'Monkey-Man'

Post by FF-Cernunnos » Sat May 17, 2008 11:55

I've been reading Judge Dredd: The Complete Case Files Volumes 1-9. Saves me getting my old issues issues of 2000AD out of the cupboard...theres literally thousands of them.
-=The FF Boss=-

ladyAn
Queen of Deception

Post by ladyAn » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:51

I am starting on a long book: "Ayn Rand - Atlas Shrugged".

Annie
- Possess weapons of mass distraction

ladyAn
Queen of Deception

Post by ladyAn » Thu Jun 25, 2009 18:09

Finished "Atlas Shrugged".

Started two books at the same time:
- BRADFORD, Alfred. With Arrow, Sword and Spear - A History of Warfare in the Ancient World. Fall River Press, New York. 2001. ISBN: 978-0-7607-9257-5
- HARRIS, Marvin. Our Kind. Harper. 1989. ISBN: 0-06-015776-3.

I always enjoy reading anthropologist Marvin Harris' books. If you didn't read "Cows, Pigs, Wars and Witches", you should read it.

Annie
- Possess weapons of mass distraction

FF-Hobbes
The Gawdfather
The Gawdfather

Post by FF-Hobbes » Thu Jul 30, 2009 21:51

Check out "Angler" about the Dick Cheney Presidency

FF-Tyrone
Admiral
Admiral

Post by FF-Tyrone » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:32

I finished "'The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People" by Stephen Covey.

Very interesting read and describes some effective ways to deal with difficult situations. For those who have to deal with people all the time, i can recommend it.
-= Ty Rone =-
-= OCFF Thug! =-