Hiya, been awhile

Total War General Discussions.
Trish
Recruit
Recruit

Hiya, been awhile

Post by Trish » Thu Apr 13, 2006 21:37

Hi folks, been awhile.... forgot my pass. :roll: So is anyone playing Rome Total War still or Guild Wars, whats everyone up to?

Louis Ste Colombe
Turcosmurf

Post by Louis Ste Colombe » Tue Apr 18, 2006 23:15

Hello Trish :)

For RTW, I think noone from FF back from the MTW day is playing it online.

For GW, Cranda and myself are still playing quite often, and from time to time you can see Tempiic around. The game changed a lot since the last time I saw you online, and now, it's much easier to unlock skills playing PvP only!

Louis,

Tinkerbell

Post by Tinkerbell » Thu Apr 20, 2006 20:07

Cou-cou...
Yeah, it sure looks deserted around the web. I can't find reference to FF in the Org at all (though I didn't try tooo hard).
One remembers fondly however.
Sadly I am too grown up now (read:employed) to offer any commitment to anything except booze and drugs (and broccoli) outside work hours.
A signal illustrator of this dispersal must surely be my deletion of M and RTW off of old faithful. Once I consign her to the great computer graveyard and upgrade, I'll be able to involve myself in the affairs of Rome.
bisous...

Trish
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Trish » Thu Apr 20, 2006 23:26

So Louis, how enjoyable is the GW expansion. Also see Ann about any?

ladyAn
Queen of Deception

Post by ladyAn » Fri Apr 21, 2006 16:00

Am around, Trish :)

Annie
- Possess weapons of mass distraction

Trish
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Trish » Fri Apr 21, 2006 21:02

Well nice to see both Louis and Ann still around. Missed you two and the rest of the gang, alot of fun memories. :wink:

ladyAn
Queen of Deception

Post by ladyAn » Mon Apr 24, 2006 22:35

Medieval2 seems to be good graphics-wise, but two worries:
- RTW engine
- individual fights

that means: most people could hardly run 3x3 large setting on RTW without lag, 4x4 large is impossible, and normal setting is simply ridiculous. Now they said "people able to run max setting in RTW could run medium setting in M2:TW. But that is just the graphics part. What about computation (CPU)?

Anyways, I still need to buy RTW:BI eventhough I would never play it. And let's see what October would bring us.

Annie

FF-Raven
Captain
Captain

Post by FF-Raven » Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:52

I'd skip on BI, I wasn't too impressed. There's a cool religion aspect to it, but I just solved that problem by having essentially my very own Jesus governor roaming my cities influencing that region's religion.
Ryan "Raven" Egger
Freedom Fighters

Louis Ste Colombe
Turcosmurf

Post by Louis Ste Colombe » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:36

Trish wrote:So Louis, how enjoyable is the GW expansion. Also see Ann about any?
As you can see, Ann is still around. I believe Ann has changed msn adress... Get in touch with her to arrange that ;)

GW went into a lot of patching, and keep being patched. The biggest change, as far as you're concerned is probably that you can unlock everything with only PvP play, and quite quickly too :)
No need to play PvE to get a competitive character.
A new expansion for GW, Factions, is out this week end.

Trish, Tinker, as far as I am concerned, TW is as good as dead. MP is unplayable in good condition. I got little hope about MTW2.

So, I mainly play GW, a bit with Tempiic, and I see Cranda online quite often there.

Louis,

Spectre
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Spectre » Tue Apr 25, 2006 18:14

I see Cranda online quite often there.
Yup, I'm still in GW too. It will probably remain my "main game" for quite a while - as a competitive game it's superior to, well, anything else I've ever played before. I'm in a Finnish guild called Storm Bearers, and we're doing ok - the guild is typically in top 20. (last season finished at #22 due to some last-minute screwups :P)

ladyAn
Queen of Deception

Post by ladyAn » Wed Apr 26, 2006 21:05

I am not buying RTW:BI to play, Raven :) Just make it part of my collection. Maybe it will remain forever unopened:)

Annie

Trish
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Trish » Wed May 03, 2006 23:12

Well I liked RTW but lack of a friendly player base ruined it for me. I picked up Guild War Factions, messed with it, however it so hard to find a group that is not picky about forming up with strangers for the pvp competitions so don't know how long my interest will last with it.

I am presently looking forward to NWN II, hopefully its graphics are not so intenst that multiplayer is of no use; since I only play it for that aspect.

Did anyone like the RTW add on?

FF-Raven
Captain
Captain

Post by FF-Raven » Thu May 04, 2006 17:14

Ah, now I understand Ann :wink: In that case, wait until it's on someone's discount game shelf for $10 (right beside Freespace 2) :cry:
Ryan "Raven" Egger
Freedom Fighters

Spectre
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Spectre » Thu May 04, 2006 17:48

Guild Wars requires a very considerable time (and effort) investment if one wants to get into competitive PvP. The more casual places (random arenas, team arenas, 12vs12 alliance battles and competitive missions in Factions storyline) are either small in scope or need some PvE time to get to, or a Guild Hall in the case of 12vs12.

GvG can be somewhat casual in the lower rungs of ladder, but high up it's the most demanding form of PvP there is. GvG requires a guild, however - not for pick-up play. Tombs is maybe the hardest one to get into without a friendlist or rank.

Guild scrimmage is a new option in factions, basically you can set up mock guild battles in your own guild hall with any kind of team composition. 1vs1, 2vs2, 5vs7, whatever. It has no rewards though, and is not in any way organised.

Hm, dunno why i wrote this thingie in the first place, i'm sure you people already know this stuff. :P

Anyways, I can help with getting a tombs group. Most of the "regular" tombs people don't care much about rank these days, groups are formed from friendlists and people vouching for each other. So rank is a non-issue, but there will be requirements such as:

- Ventrillo for communication (a mic is required too)
- Sufficient unlocks (keeping a few k of faction handy for on-the-spot unlocks is always a good idea)
- Flexibility with builds (team leader will dictate most of the skills of the character)
- Enough knowledge of the game (must know common metagame builds and all Tombs maps objectives and common tactics; observer mode is good for this)
- Skill to play the character build (playing a build for the first time should be done somewhere else such as arenas)

Some further reading here: http://forums.gwonline.net/showthread.php?t=395128

That Tiyuri guy is a decent player, though I wouldn't quite call him stellar by any means. That 500 fame per run is most likely BS, runs like that are certainly not "usual" for even the best tombs teams.

Louis Ste Colombe
Turcosmurf

Post by Louis Ste Colombe » Thu May 04, 2006 18:18

Trish,

The BI add on for RTW is decent for SP campaign, it's quite fun to "go Hord" a couple of times on the Roman empire and just lay ruins all across Europe. Playing romans in a non cheesy way is also some good fun (although I have not finished it)
For MP it does not change anything much.

For Guild War MP; I got limited experience on this. I'd recommand to play in Random Arena to get some fast factions, unlock stuff with the factions, and then move to other forms of MP once you got the flexibility Spectre talks about. Anyway; Spectre is right :)

I'll probably game for some MP once I got my hands on factions (otherwise my flexibility is limited to my SP characters, which is decent... not overwhelming but decent: I can probably play all warrior builds, and the main monks or mesmers...)

Louis,

Phoenix
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Phoenix » Fri May 05, 2006 23:48

Just play Warcraft :lol: nothing more to say

ladyAn
Queen of Deception

Post by ladyAn » Tue May 09, 2006 1:06

Looks like am slowly warm back up to play MTW/VI ;)

Annie

Louis Ste Colombe
Turcosmurf

Post by Louis Ste Colombe » Wed May 10, 2006 20:55

Someone is winning tournament and is not saying :P

http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=63663

Congrat Tempiic :)

Louis,

Trish
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Trish » Wed May 10, 2006 22:31

Guess Guild Wars will not be a valid choice for me then. Thank you Spectre for breaking everthing down for me, I appreciate it. I guess I would describe myself as more of a social gamer. I like to win, but more importantly I like to play with people who play to have fun. That's why I joined FF in the first place. :wink:

I don't think GW is geared for that, not that I think its a bad game; perhaps just not the game for me.

As for RTW Louis, single player games, all of them tend to put me to sleep. :roll: No matter how much I may like the game.

Temptation
Sweet Trouble
Sweet Trouble

Post by Temptation » Thu May 11, 2006 11:26

Hiyas Trish :) Been a while. A bit too long while if you ask me. But RTW is a dissapointment, and eventhough I do have BI, I cant say I am playing both. Good to see you again though. :)

My online gaming time is quite limited nowadays, I still play GW now and then. But I do not play as much online as I used to. Recently I went back to MTW/VI and started to play the STW Mod exclusively.

I did not win that tourney Louis. ;) I won it for 'Lord' Buu since I became vassal to Tosa who became Buu's vassal. But thanks anywyas ;)