(GW) Guild Wars

Discussions and other stuff related to Massively Multiplayer Online Games
frogbeastegg
Cadet
Cadet

Post by frogbeastegg » Wed Aug 03, 2005 15:18

Nevermind, I'm in post seering now. It's very brown. And, um, brown. With brown. And 50% extra brown for free. :?
A knight is sworn to valour
Her heart knows only virtue
Her blade defends the helpless
Her might upholds the weak
Her word speaks only truth
Her wrath undoes the wicked

ladyAn
Queen of Deception

Post by ladyAn » Wed Aug 03, 2005 16:30

Yeah, the only dye that stand out is green, or maybe blue, otherwise, everything is dusty brown like in ... Pheonix, Arizona. Makes you miss the lusty green bunny land.

I'll bring my last character out too. I have a naggy feeling that I missed a necro trainer somewhere. It seems I don't have some curses...

Annie
- Possess weapons of mass distraction

Louis Ste Colombe
Turcosmurf

Post by Louis Ste Colombe » Wed Aug 03, 2005 16:45

You don't like brown?

Ok, anyone got some screenshot of Kryta or the Shiverpeak around here?

I got some, but nowhere to post them :?

At some point you'll see some other landscape then ugly dustbowl (tm).

Louis,

ladyAn
Queen of Deception

Post by ladyAn » Wed Aug 03, 2005 20:32

Found out what my necro secondaries missed:

http://cleaned.beyondunreal.com/temp/Gu ... Quests.htm

I missed the "Accursed Path" quest thats give me some more curse skills.

"I'll be back!"

frogbeastegg
Cadet
Cadet

Post by frogbeastegg » Wed Aug 03, 2005 23:51

I wouldn't say I was against brown. It's just there is brown, and then there is brown. Post seering so far is BROWN, brownish, and browner. It's dull, ugly, and all looks much the same, so I get lost even more easily than before.
A knight is sworn to valour
Her heart knows only virtue
Her blade defends the helpless
Her might upholds the weak
Her word speaks only truth
Her wrath undoes the wicked

ladyAn
Queen of Deception

Post by ladyAn » Thu Aug 04, 2005 14:00

incentive for you to move out of that :)

Annie

Louis Ste Colombe
Turcosmurf

Post by Louis Ste Colombe » Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:45

Whohooo....

After September 7th giant update with dozen more quests and new areas, here comes a new update, affecting mostly skill balance.

There are also a few changes in display: check the changes there:

http://guildwars.com/news/gameupdates.html

Most interesting: hex damage will be displayed for conditional damage (a la backfire), and so will pet damage.

I was thinking about playing a Water/Air/Curses (Water hex/ Lightning Touch, Shadow of Fear, Feast of Corruption) Elementalist/Necromancer... I must resist the urge to create a new character :p

Good stuff!

Louis,

Spectre
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Spectre » Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:40

Hot tip for warriors: Battle Rage has been changed so that if you renew it before it expires, it no longer drains your adrenaline. Whee! :D

Louis Ste Colombe
Turcosmurf

Post by Louis Ste Colombe » Mon Oct 24, 2005 13:17

Ahhhhh..... 8O

Axe warriors will probably still go for Eviscerate (or Cleave...), but double adrenaline on hit + speed boost is going to make this a favorite for hammer warrior and adrenaline based sword warrior in PvP.

Hum... I got to try it again :)

Louis,

Spectre
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Spectre » Mon Oct 24, 2005 19:22

Meh, it appears that the last update bugged up a few skills, and Battle Rage is one of them... it doesn't end anymore if you use a non-attack skill, contrary to the skill description. Expect it to be fixed shortly.

Another bugged skill is Thunderclap; it does no longer end because of energy loss.

Spectre
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Spectre » Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:00

Battle Rage, Thunderclap et al fixed. Good, back to PvP. :)

But alas, all is not well... this latest update screwed up the areas of Lion's Arch, Droknar's Forge and Tombs in a big way! The graphics are now something dreadful! I bet they'll fix it again in a couple of days, so better take a look now before it's all gone! :wink:

Louis Ste Colombe
Turcosmurf

Post by Louis Ste Colombe » Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:08

Not to mention, for the fashionistas among us that capes and helmet are now toggable...

Louis,

Spectre
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Spectre » Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:44

Hee!

There are also candy golems that you can use as henchies. Candy that raises the dead, heh :P

Too bad I'm away for the weekend... seems like there's more funny stuff to come!

Spectre
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Halloweenie stuff

Post by Spectre » Mon Oct 31, 2005 18:19

The mad king appeared in LA at noon GMT in Europe.

Based on Korean accounts of the event, the King appears at noon in the region's time zone, and keeps appearing randomly throughout the rest of the day. I don't know it it's PST or EST in America, but he should make quite a few visits so he's hard to miss.

Some people are saying that the King appears every third hour after the initial visit. Seems to be accurate; Europe had a second visit at 15:00 GMT.

Update: noon PST and every 3 hours after that seems to be the schedule for American servers. The king appears exactly at noon in district 1, and a bit later in each subsequent district. If you want pumpkins for several chars in one "visitation", log out after you get one and then go to a later district (for example from dis 12 to dis 22) and the king should be there.

***SPOILERS***

The Mad King tells jokes, plays rock-paper-scissors with random people and gives out simple tasks to perform emotes, for example you must laugh when he tells a joke, play an instrument when he wishes to be entertained and so on.

Doing the emote within the time limit earns you a random halloween trinket (absinthe, serum etc.), and failing to do it gets you dead. This continues for half an hour or so.

Just before the king leaves, he plays a game of "Mad King Says." It's like the emote games before it, but there are much stricter time limits. (There's also the same catch as in the children's game.) This goes on for a few minutes, then the king rewards everyone in attendance with a pumpkin helmet (as shown on my avatar) which is customised for the character.

I think that's about all there is to tell about the event. Happy Halloween! :D

Spectre
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Update - Thursday, November 10

Post by Spectre » Fri Nov 11, 2005 13:16

Improved AI so that henchmen and monsters can now detect and flee from area-effect damage spells.

Very. Big. Change. GW forums are practically exploding from people complaining about making area damage useless.

In principle it's a good change, but the mechanic part of it appears to be overdone. Mobs run away too fast and even at full health, it just looks silly and makes everything chaotic. The threshold to run away needs to be lowered, then the update maybe has the intended effect on gameplay.

Spectre
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Spectre » Sat Nov 12, 2005 14:00

In Friday's hotfix they toned down the monsters fleeing AoE effects. It feels better now and is a step in the right direction.

Gaile Gray (Arenanet's PR person) @ Gwonline.net:
Guild Wars has had a bit of a disconnect between the two forms of gameplay: PvP and PvE. What works beautifully in PvP may not work well in PvE, and vice versa. In part, that is ok, but it has also been not ok, because there should be a form of seamlessness between the two gameplay choices, so that what you use in one is also useful in the other. Also, there were problems with the monster and henchman AI. So, in order to bring the game back to more of a shared-experience feeling, rather than a feeling of having two entirely separate and different games, we undertook the first of a few changes: We improved the monster and henchman AI. Henchmen are more intelligent and will do things that you need them to do to get the job done. In other words, they will be more like human players. Likewise, monsters will be given a swift kick in the behi... excuse me.. will be given an similar increase in intelligence, too. Where before they stood stupidly by as Fire Storm rained death and destruction upon them, now, they might actually make a defensive move and, you know, get out of the spell effect!

For after all, monsters shouldn't be stupid. While they may never match a human player in intelligence, they should be clever and canny and crafty in figuring out how to win. If you've ever played with a kitten, you know that animals are not stupid. They assess their opponent -- even if it's just a catnip mouse. They weigh when to scratch or bite, when to pounce, and if you suddenly make ferocious noices that makes the kitten sense peril, the kitten even knows when to back away and reappraise the situation. Animals have a sense of self-preservation equal to or greater than that of humans.

The improvement to the AI will help make the monsters more "realistic," I guess you could say. It will make them more worthy opponents. Some players don't like that. They prefer the "play with one hand, eat a pizza with the other, while watching TV and talking on the phone." Or they prefer being able to solo the Underworld without breaking a sweat. And come on, guys, no one should be soloing the Underworld! It makes no sense at all, and we know it and we accept full responsibility for the fact that it was possible when it never should have been. Things were imbalanced. We've made a move towards putting them back into balance and giving greater valuation to foes of all kinds: Undead, White Mantle, Charr, and all. As monsters improve in intelligence, it allows us to improve skills so that skills that were never used in PvP will be more viable against both players and monsters. It allows us to make skills that were once used exclusively in PvP more appropriate for PvE as well.

(snip)
Mobs indeed feel more human now, they're almost like newbie Tombs groups now instead of the unintelligent tree-stumps that they were. Good stuff. However, it should have been like this in the first place; by changing things so radically in the middle of a game's shelf life, Anet has alienated a sizable group of PvE players. Bad move. Maybe they should have saved the AI tweaks for the expansion.

Louis Ste Colombe
Turcosmurf

Post by Louis Ste Colombe » Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:58

I don't have real nuker character; my main warrior and mesmer are pretty much unaffected.

That means my feeling toward that build is biased, given I have never paid much attention to PvE critters positionning (ok, a bit for cyclone axe maximisation...). For a mesmer, wherever you are, skills work (there are a few exceptions... but overall).

So it's no surprise if I am happy with that patch. It's good to see critters moving out of damage area spell. It's not fully implemented yet, but it's a step in the right direction.
Now I'd like to see a hexed critter behaving differently depending on the hex: I have yet to see an empathied/ spitted warrior stopping to attack... Right now that part is still suicidal.

Other piece of news: part of the expansion unveiled... A new character: Assassin.

Well, hope to see what kind of skills it got :) (and time to harvest skill points and gold to buy new secondaries skill :) )

Louis,

Louis Ste Colombe
Turcosmurf

Post by Louis Ste Colombe » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:24

A very fun trip in Sorrow's Furnace yesterday night.

Those dredges are a bit on the tough side :)

Two near wipes on communication problems; hey, I am not on phone/TS but I could see the problem! Not sure TS is of any use :p

And Cranda: nice work keeping the pace fast by moving up all the time with your little monk...

It was one of Clothaire first trip in SF, and I got to think a bit more about what skill I bring there. Not sure all those interrupts were useful... And it also depends on corpse exploitation, and all that :)

Thanks everyone for that fun trip!

Louis,

Spectre
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Spectre » Wed Nov 16, 2005 14:10

Two near wipes on communication problems; hey, I am not on phone/TS but I could see the problem!
Quazo & Keli are still relatively inexperienced, and I couldn't keep 'em out of trouble because I had to keep an eye on Alkar... :P

Dredge are one of the few kinds of enemies that are actually dangerous when aggro is not handled properly. Love 'em! :)
And Cranda: nice work keeping the pace fast by moving up all the time with your little monk...
Heh heh, with the Retards I do that all the time... but it's a bad habit in pick-up groups, everyone keeps calling me a noob. :P

A lot of groups are actually _too_ careful in the later parts of the game such as Ring of Fire, UW/FoW and Sorrows. UW Trapper groups are especially bad... I just hate the slow pace. I took the Retards for a trapper UW run with a couple of my guildmates, and it went on forever and ever... never again!

Louis Ste Colombe
Turcosmurf

Post by Louis Ste Colombe » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:24

I could not keep them out of trouble... because... hum... because... :roll:
I type too slow, and usually none at all once fight starts :(

Well, they sure went into the action really fast. And I gave no direction about what we shall have done.

The henchie split in a dumb way (what can you expect...And I would not blame them for that). I used my res stupidly too: resing Menhlo in Quazo group, and that was doomed: no way half a group can take out a full dredge group... whereas, had I supported Keli better, we could have made it there.

At some point, I started to be concerned about Keli staying alive, and her minions turning back on me, so I gave up, run back to the temple, and from there, you res and we start again.

The second near wipe: you called for help before we engaged Dredge, I moved back and despite some nice drawings, noone followed me :(

I don't know how they screw it up, I was not even there :)

Louis,